Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Today we began with this opener (pdf) - which was really just a sample so we could all learn the procedure we'll follow at the beginning of class. Trust me, beginning tomorrow the openers will be at a more appropriate mathematical level :-).



We then spent some time reviewing the first four topics on the Math Skills Assessment and each group presented on a particular skill. Please take a look at the following images and critique them (nicely, thoughtfully, helpfully). (Click on each image to view it larger.)

Group 1: Adding and Subtracting Fractions


Group 2: Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers


Group 3: Multiplying and Dividing Fractions


Group 4: Multiplying and Dividing Mixed Numbers


Group 5: Adding and Subtracting Integers


Group 6: Multiplying and Dividing Integers


Group 7: Order of Operations



What could we do better next time to make a better visual explanation of a math topic? Feel free to leave a comment on this post (use your lpsk12.org login please). You don't have to leave a comment tonight, but I will ask you to leave one as part of tomorrow night's homework, so you might just want to go ahead and do that.

Your homework for tonight is:
  1. Review for the first four topics on the Math Skills Assessment. You'll be assessed over these skills tomorrow. Don't spend too much time on it, but review any of them you're a little fuzzy on.

  2. If you haven't completed the assignments from last night, please do so, as they are due by first period tomorrow. Make sure you try all your logins (computer at school if you have time, definitely google apps, LPS Campus Portal, and the Moodle). Let me know if you have any difficulties - we'll get them figured out.

  3. Not due until Friday, but leave a comment on this post (using your lpsk12.org login) giving some constructive feedback to one or more of the groups.

9 comments:

  1. I think that group number 6,2, and group 1 could have maybe done the problems in a few other ways so you can learn how to do them in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that all the groups did an amazing job. I think that group 2 could have done the problems in some other ways for people who need to understand it differently. Also I could not read group 4's as well but they still did a great job grasping the concept. I also would have liked if group 6 could have add more information so I could fully understand everything. But overall I think that every group did an amazing job telling us how to do the questions. I really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that all of the groups did an amazing job on their presentations. Most of the groups show the problems in many different ways. Although most the groups did well I would have likes to seen group 2 explain subtracting mixed numbers. Other than that, all of the groups did very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that visually all groups did a good job. However, if someone were to be viewing these pictures on the blog they would only see the problem. Group one did a good job of using words as well as visual examples to explain their method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all the groups also did an amazing job. I think it would have been better if group 2 and 3 had written what they did on the white board instead of just showing numbers. For me personally, that would have been a big help. But overall, each group did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over all the groups did a great job. But a few things could have been improved. Group one and two could have show a visual way of presenting the project. Group four could have made the writing more legible and given a visual aid to help show how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the groups did great. I thought all the groups though could have added a little more problems on their board not just the simple problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our group did the Adding and Subtracting on the whiteboard. We explained thoughtfully and made sure every step made sense. We picked easy fractions so it wasn't that difficult. But everyone participated and had a good group discussion about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that everyone did a wonderful job, and I could tell that everyone knew what they were doing. I think everyone put time into this. However I did have trouble reading group 4's handwriting. Also, group 1 did the problems but the explanation was in a paragraph at the bottom, it would have ben much easier to understand if they had written their explanation in steps. But overall, I think everyone did a fantastic job and knew what they were doing.

    ReplyDelete