Summer is about over so it’s time to begin gearing up for school. I shared some information with you earlier, but now I’d like to share some more information with both you and your student. First, two things just for you.
- You may want to make a note of my contact information.
Please share the following with your student, and you will probably be interested in reading through it as well. (This is being sent to their LPS gmail account as well - more information on how to access that in a separate email.) Please note that at the end of the information is a request to reply to this email with some information so that I know that you/they got this.
Welcome to our Algebra class. I’d like to share some information with you now that will help you get off to a good start. Some of the following is just informational and some of it suggest things you can do to get ready.
- Math Skills Assessment You hopefully have already been working on the Math Skills Assessment that all incoming AHS freshmen need to complete in order to prepare them to be successful in mathematics at AHS. So, if you haven’t done this yet, or if you did it awhile back and need to review, please take some time to work through it. Our first formal assessment (grade) will be over the first four of these skills on Wednesday, August 21st, so you want to be ready.
- Class Expectations Please read through our class expectations (parents, too). It’s important that you read through and understand these expectations, and then fill out the online form to indicate you’ve completed this. Please also note the supplies list on that page and have those with you on the first day of school.
- About Me Writing Assignment Your first assignment is going to be to tell me a little bit about yourself. While you don’t have to do this until school begins, I highly encourage you to do it now because that first week of school is kind of crazy. If you do it now you’ll have more time to complete it (and less homework that first week), and I’ll get a chance to know a little bit about you before school starts.
Please visit my About Me page to see your writing prompt and my response to the prompt. If you choose to write this now (and I encourage you to do so), please create it as a Google Doc using your district Google Account (more on that login in a minute) and share it with me (email@example.com).
- Bookmark Our Class Blog It’s probably going to come in handy to have our class blog bookmarked on your laptop. Go to our class blog and bookmark it. While you’re there, you might look around a little.
- What Do You Like to be Called? Do you go by your given name or by a nickname? Please let me know.
- Laptop Setup If you’re bringing your own laptop, you might want to look through these laptop setup recommendations and get it ready for AHS.
Please email me back to confirm you received this email, and let me know what you like to be called. If you choose to do the About Me Writing Assignment now, please share that via Google Drive when it’s complete. I’ll be sending your login information in a separate email (for those of you coming from an LPS school, your google login remains the same as it was last year).
Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
Arapahoe High School